Mr. Karl Kulessa, UNFPA Representative
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is an international development agency that promotes the right of every woman, man and child to enjoy a life of health and equal opportunity. UNFPA supports countries by encouraging the use of population data in policies and programs which reduce poverty, and ensure that every pregnancy is wanted, that every birth is safe, that every young person is free of HIV/AIDS, and that every woman and girl is treated with dignity and respect.
Main Areas of Work
The agency has worked in Uzbekistan since 1993, and has implemented its second Country Programme from 2005 to 2009 in close cooperation with its national partners. The major areas of work conducted by UNFPA include the following:
- Assisting in strengthening the technical, managerial and research capacities of the Ministry of Health;
• Providing high-quality reproductive health services by
conducting capacity building activities;
• Introducing best practices and internationally-adopted standards to improve the quality of RH services;
• Providing necessary reproductive health (RH) commodities and equipment, training programmes and public events;
• Producing necessary informational and educational materials, while working with mass media;
The RH activity components are supported through the procurement of modern contraceptives.
- Increasing awareness and access to information related to sexual and reproductive health among men, women and young people. Subjects of particular importance include HIV/AIDS, sexually-transmitted infections (STI), unwanted pregnancies and gender-based violence. This information will be made publicly available a number of channels including training programmes, peer education activities for youth, public events, research programs, the production of informational material and collaboration with media in order to increase demand for RH services at all levels.
- Increasing the knowledge of policy makers, religious leaders and community leaders regarding the principles of the International Conference on Population and development (ICPD), and the Programme of Action and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW). This will be achieved by conducting public events and training programmes in cooperation with the Women’s Committee of Uzbekistan and other relevant partners, involving research, the production of information materials and the development of positive relations with the media. A significant amount of work has been undertaken in order to establish centres for the socio-legal support of women throughout Uzbekistan, in cooperation with the Women’s Committee of Uzbekistan and the nation’s local provincial authorities;
- Building national capacities in terms of demography and population statistics. This has been achieved by conducting various training activities and public events in cooperation with the Ministry of Labor of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the State Statistics Committee of Uzbekistan and other relevant institutions. This work will help to conduct research, produce information materials and improve relations with the media;
- Increasing awareness of population and development among policy makers, by conducting training programmes for deputy khokims and other government representatives on a national scale. This will be undertaken with cooperation from the Centre for Socio-Economic Research of Uzbekistan and the Women’s Committee of Uzbekistan, while necessary information and training materials will be produced.
Main National Partners
• The Ministry of Health of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
• The Ministry of Public Education of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
• The Ministry of Labor of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
• The Reproductive Health Centre of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
• The Republic AIDS Centre;
• The Republic Perinatal Centre;
• The Women’s Committee of Uzbekistan;
• The Tashkent Institute of Advanced Medical Education (TIAME);
• Institute for Forecast and Microeconomic Research under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
• The State Statistics Committee of Uzbekistan.
14, M. Tarobiy Street
Tashkent 100090, Uzbekistan
Tel.: (+998 71) 1206899
Fax: (+998 71) 1206897
BECAUSE EVERYONE COUNTS!